the world through GREEN colored glasses...

We are in the midst of a budding ECOdemic. Loving the Earth is no longer a faux-pas. Tree hugging is hip. If People magazine were to publish a Sexiest Trend Alive issue this year, "Going Green" would be on the cover. But how compatible are consumerism and popular culture with the ideology of sustainability?

Through this blog, I take a look at popular culture - and more - through GREEN colored glasses.

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

- green = + green

So I moved into my summer sublet apartment this week, and I have to say that the first thing that I realized is that the best way to make sustainable living popular is through pinching pocketbooks. Oil, water, and electricity costs are sky high, so greenness is not the only thing motivating my roommates and me to flick off the lights, take shorter showers (and turn off the water in between scrubbing), and let the yellow mellow.



Why pay for furniture if we could adopt it? Our couch was so-conveniently left by the road across the street, beds and shelving units were picked up on Craig’s List, the TV was bought from the previous apartment owner, and parents, aunts, and grandparents handed down kitchenware and other miscellaneous items to fill the cabinets.

0 Comments:

get your green on!